Monday, February 13, 2012

Module I

Wow! I am going to learn a lot as I become more technologically literate. Well, here goes.
Essential Question: Why is an awareness of Place important?
When I moved to Alaska on July 18, 2010, I had no inkling of Place. I was displaced. I understood my Place when I accidentally come upon the pipeline. At least then I knew north and south. My understanding of Place has increased the longer I have lived here and have been able to get a sense for the community, cultures, and the state of Alaska.

Awareness of Place is vital in our understanding of who we are and where we are in comparison to others in the world. Awareness of Place helps us understand different cultures and value them instead of fear them. All people need to feel valued in our world. Awareness of Place comes from strong roots and knowledge of one's culture, history, ancestors, and stories handed down from one generation to another.

I am finding it confusing in understand Place on the World Wide Web. It is so massive. The manipulating and accessing the opportunities that lie at my fingertips is quite overwhelming. I am looking forward to learning about this Place through this course.

Question: How are newcomers or outsiders regarded in your community?
I can speak to this question first-handed. When people asked me what brought me to Alaska, I tell them I came here for the adventure. I have never been laughed at when I say that, but have had positive responses. I have found that I fit in with many like minded adventurous souls in Alaska. Of course, I have been called a Cheechako. I also got a strange look from folks when they found out I had not been through a winter yet when I first moved to Alaska in July of 2010.

The people of the community have offered valuable, life saving advice like packing winter gear in your vehicle in the winter, buying the right cord to plug the vehicle in, and making sure to stay busy through the winter. My personal experience has been nothing but positive in being welcomed with open arms. I have been invited to do things with people in the community.

Due to the diversity of people who come to Fairbanks, AK, this makes people open to newcomers. Most everybody here has been a newcomer at one time or another and they remember that experience. Also, people of a community or more open to newcomers when they don't have family closeby. People make family from friends.

Lastly, being welcomed and responding to that welcome is a two-sided street. In order to be welcome, it is important to engage in the culture and become involved in the community.

One Paragraph evaluation:
I am impressed with the quality of the content of this class. The resources that are available are impressive. The biggest challenge I have with this internet class is accessing and being able to manipulate the website. Thank you Clay for your patience with me on this learning curve. The essential questions in this module are thought provoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment